Tribute for John Hughes
Condolence Messages from The Bambalapitiya Flatters and Friends database
- Please convey our deepest, sympathies to the family. Rukmal Abeygoonesekera
- It is indeed very sad when you hear the news death. Please pass on my sympathy to the Hughes family. May John Rest in peace! John Selvadurai
- So Sorry to hear that another flatter contemporary of ours John Hughes, has been called to God. Although I completely lost touch with John after we all went overseas and our separate ways, he was very much a part of our “Barefoot Battalion” days. My most enduring memory of John is during a cycling trip about 8 of us (including Tony) did to my old home town of Ratnapura over a 5 day period. On the way back my rickety bike (with John had nicknamed “Granny’s Onion “for unknown reasons, broke a pedal and I was struggling to ride. John volunteered to swap bikes with me and rode on virtually one pedal all the way back home!. Even as a youngster I was so impressed and touched by his action. Yes he was a bit of a rough diamond at times, but a diamond all the same. Please pass my condolences to Theone. Hillary Senanayake
- Yes it’s sad to hear about Hugh John Hughes, Theone Hughes (Nee Mason?) Brother.
Please convey My Deepest sympathies to the Mason/Hughes Family. My condolences to You Theone and Family. Mithrani De Abrew Mahadeva
- This is a really sad bit of news for me as I lived above John in L Block and we used to have so much fun during our time together - in fact I still carry a scar on my right thigh where when we used to sit on a rubber tube monsoon time and try and see how brave we were to ride out the breaker waves - he jumped on top of me as I caught the wave and was being carried under it and his zip cut a 2 inch scar of my lower thigh - still have it and still look at it now that I wear shorts most of the time in SL (once a burger always a burger) - please send Theone my deepest sympathies and remind her that me living in SL and passing Bamba maybe at least 3 or 4 times a week - I have many many memories of all the buddies I had there - Tony Ediri will confirm our wave busting days during the monsoon season. Keith Haines
- Yes it is sad news please convey my sympathies to the rest of the family I am sure it is a fitting song he chose as we flatters find it hard not to be happy talking of our days in Bamba May he Rest in Peace. Lucky Ranchigoda
- Dear Theone, Please accept my very deepest sympathies on your brother John’s passing.
My thoughts and prayers will be with you and family.
Although I lost touch with you and have not been in contact, I remember you and John very well as childhood/teen friends during those very memorable days in the flats, together with our mutual friend Rochelle Fernando.
Take care and may your many happy memories of your brother bring you much comfort. Love and God bless.Sweeny (née Senanayake)
- Please convey our very deepest sympathies, our prayers are with them during this very hard time. Sandy Withanage
- My deepest sympathies to Theone on the demise of her eldest Brother Hugh and any other members of the Family. Flats were always our Green, Green Grass but for personal reasons we all went seeking the Greener Grasses all over the World making those of us still living a Unique Global Family. This in itself is something we all should never forget where ever we are.
Trevor and Sriyani Jayetileke
- Please pass on "Our deepest sympathies, thoughts and good wishes to Theone and her family at this sad time." Milroy and Romany de Silva
- Please convey my deepest sympathies to the grieving family and May God rest his soul in Peace, let the family be strong in the Love of the Lord and he is in a better place where we
will all go to someday. Take care and God bless. Freddy De Zilwa
- Deepest Sympathies, and RIP Hugh John Hughes, from Baratha Mendis and family.
- Please convey our condolences to Throne and her family. Bunno and Lorraine
- Please do convey my deepest sympathies and heartfelt condolences to the family. Sriantha Rajapakse
- "To the Hughes family, Theone and others including their extended families, my deepest condolences during this sad loss of this well-loved sibling. My prayers are with the family for
peace and trust in his Divine Love and Mercy. May John R.I.P."... Sherin Davoodbhoy (Block C/2nd Floor)
- Dear Theone and Family, MY prayers and heart-felt condolences on the loss of your brother. He is now in the "Green Green Grace of Heavenly Home" greeted and welcomed lovingly by
his Divine Father . Warm regards Rajes Phillips
- Please convey our deepest sympathies to John's family and sister Theone. Laraine and the rest of the Muller family
- My sincere condolences to the Hughes family. May he RIP. Tony Martyn
John Hughes was an unforgettable character of the Bambalapitiya Flats as he always was in the water in the ocean behind the flats. He was a strong swimmer and in fact my elder brother Hugh Hoffman owes his life to John who pulled him out of the water when he was stuck below the water with his foot under the small reef closer to shore. If John had not seen Hugh’s hand waving above the water, I think Hugh would definitely have drowned, as he did not know how to swim. Unfortunately, on that day Jith Weerasinghe(D Block No.3 Ground Floor) was not that lucky, as he was brought out of the water after Hugh and succumbed to the effects of excess water in his lungs and died at Kalubowila Hospital that night. John, we The Hoffman Family of F Block thank you for your quick action on that occasion and will always remember you for that heroic deed. Theone, please accept my delayed Condolences on the demise of your BIG BROTHER JOHN. May He Rest In Peace. Sincerely, Everard & Dagmar Hoffman
If you wish to add a Condolence Message to this page, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Put 'John Hughes' in the Subject column